PNP to probe alleged suicide of rookie policewoman

LAOAG CITY — The Philippine National Police (PNP) is set to investigate the death of a new policewoman who was found unconscious in her house in Barangay Poblacion, Dumalneg town, Ilocos Norte province on Friday afternoon and died in a hospital the next day.

Based on initial police probe, the policewoman, whose name her mother requested not to be mentioned in the media, died because of an apparent suicide. Sources said a drawstring — a string or cord that closes or tightens — was tied around her neck when she was found unconscious in her house, before she was rushed to the hospital.

She was supposed to be having some personal problems, according to people who know her.

The 25-year-old cop, with a rank of Police Officer 1, joined the PNP in 2016. She was supposed to marry a fellow police officer with whom she had a four-year-old son next month.

The late policewoman had been a consistent honor student in her school days, and graduated class valedictorian. She finished a degree in Secondary Education, major in English, at the Mariano Marcos State University’s College of Education in this city but opted to enter the police service, when she saw an opportunity for better employment.

Her shocked colleagues, family members, and friends could hardly believe she was gone too soon, as she had been described as “highly professional and efficient”.

On Monday, Senior Supt. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., Provincial Director of Ilocos Norte PNP, said the PNP would conduct a deeper investigation into the newbie policewoman’s death for possible foul play.

At press time, the police said they had found possible motives for killing the late policewoman, but declined to elaborate further.

“She’s brilliant and wise with a strong personality like a man. She’s very jolly and sweet too,” said George Emman Manuel, a public school teacher and a best friend of the victim in college. (PNA)

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...