PNP seizes 1,916 loose firearms in Zambo Peninsula

By Teofilo Garcia, Jr./Philippine News Agency

ZAMBOANGA CITY — The Police Regional Office-9 (PRO-9) has intensified its campaign against loose firearms to prevent election-related violence in the region.

Police Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Luis Licup, PRO-9 director, told the Philippine News Agency (PNA) Saturday that they have seized 1,916 unlicensed and undocumented firearms in the entire region since January this year.

The PRO-9 covers the province of Zamboanga Sibugay, Zamboanga del Norte and Zamboanga del Sur, and the cities of Isabela and Zamboanga.

Licup said that 517 of the 1,916 firearms were confiscated through search warrants and other regular police operations while the remaining 1,399 guns were surrendered to the police by private individuals, barangay officials, and local candidates, whose licenses had already expired.

“These loose firearms could potentially be used for violence and crimes in election-related violence leading to the mid-term election this coming May 13,” he said.

Meanwhile, Licup calls on private individuals, barangay officials, and local candidates who have unlicensed guns or with expired license to surrender their firearms.

He also ordered all police units of PRO-9 to be proactive in the drive against persons with loose firearms and to step up its campaign against loose firearms.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...