PNP to intensify training of personnel on ‘Tokhang’ procedures

MANILA — The Philippine National Police (PNP) will educate its personnel more to comply with standard operating procedures in an effort to address lapses in the implementation of Oplan Tokhang, newly-appointed Police Community Relations Group (PCRG) head, Senior Superintendent Rhodel Sermonia said.

During a press briefing at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City Thursday, Sermonia described “Tokhang” as a “good program” that has led to the voluntary surrender of more than one million drug personalities since its official implementation on July 1 last year.

“‘Tokhang’ is one of the best programs the PNP (has) ever (had). Maybe we need the help of the media to help us promote the ‘Tokhang’ program as a very good program, considering that it has surrendered more than a million drug personalities, neutralized thousands of drug pushers,” he said.

The PCRG chief said the effectiveness of the program can be gauged by the continued support of different government agencies and stakeholders of the PNP.

“We can see the support of the different agencies of government and our community partners. (It means that) the program is good but we need the help of the media to (propagate) and tell the public that ‘Tokhang’ is not a negative program,” he added.

Nonetheless, to shed off its “unfriendly” image, PNP personnel have to do more community engagement and work, Sermonia said.

“Aside from relentless operations now being done by all the units of the PNP, we have to do more community engagement. We have to involve other agencies of government, not only the PNP, which is very important,” he added. (PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...