Police: Crimes in West Visayas down on Christmas break

BACOLOD CITY — Crime incidents in Western Visayas “significantly dropped” between Christmas Eve and Christmas morning this year, compared to the same period in 2016.

Comparative statistics of the Western Visayas Police showed that during the 12-hour period from 5 p.m. of Dec. 24 to 5 a.m. of Dec. 25, only 17 incidents were recorded in the region, compared to 147 in the same period last year.

Supt. Gilbert Gorero, regional police spokesperson, said that based on the 2017 Ligtas Paskuhan Assessment, there has been a decrease in all types of focus crimes and non-index crimes.

Focus crimes include murder, homicide, physical injury, rape, robbery, theft, and car theft, while non-index crimes refer to violations of special laws.

Gorero also acknowledged the support of the news media in informing the public of their obligation to help the police maintain an orderly and peaceful community.

“We have zero incident (so far this year) for indiscriminate firing and stray bullets compared to last year’s two,” he added.

Gorero had earlier warned provincial and city directors in Western Visayas regarding the one-strike policy on stray bullet cases during the holidays.
Police chiefs and other commanders will be removed from their posts if two or more stray bullet incidents cannot be resolved within 24 hours.

Gorero added that criminal and administrative charges will be filed against uniformed personnel who will commit such offense, pointing out that the Philippine National Police will be strict regarding stray bullet offenses as muzzle taping has not been implemented. (Nanette Guadalquiver/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...