Police release sketch of Isulan bombing suspect

COTABATO CITY — Police authorities have released the computerized cartographic sketch of the man who set off a powerful improvised bomb in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat that killed three and wounded 36 others on August 28.

Police Regional Office 12 (Soccsksargen) Director, Chief Supt. Eliseo Tam Rasco, emailed the cartographic sketch to various media outlets here Saturday, four days after the deadly bomb attack that took place during the town’s foundation anniversary and Hamungaya festival.

Rasco said the suspect, who eluded arrest by a militiaman shortly before the 8:30 p.m. bomb attack along rows of used clothing stalls in Barangay Kalawag, Isulan, was a male described to be 20 years to 25 years old, 5 ft. 6 inches tall, about 60 kg., medium built and white complexion.
All activities related to the town fiesta had been canceled following the bombing incident.

“The suspect detonated the IED (improvised explosive device) using a mobile phone while evading the militiaman who accosted him after he placed the package under a parked motorbike,” said Senior Supt. Oliver Enmodias, PRO-12 deputy director for operations and head of the Special Investigation Task Group Hamungaya.

The IED was made of black powder placed inside a barrel of water pump filled with cut nails and metal shards, with a nine-volt battery as triggering device.
Rasco said the bomber might have had accomplices because one person could not plan such type of attack.

“The horrific attacks in Isulan served as a strong reminder of the continued threat that terrorism poses, both to our people and to our way of life, and the only way to counter terrorism is through our concerted effort,” he said.

A day after the bombing, a computer-generated cartographic sketch of the suspect circulated on social media and Facebook. However, Supt. Aldrin Gonzales, speaking for police in Region 12, said the circulated social media sketch of the suspect was not the official sketch created by police investigators.

“That was done by somebody who wanted to muddle the investigation,” Gonzales said.

Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde, during his recent visit to the blast site, told reporters that probers are given ample time to finish their job.

“No time frame but it must be as soon as possible,” Albayalde said, adding that probers are focusing on the alleged involvement in the incident of the Islamic State-linked Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) operating mainly in Maguindanao.

Sultan Kudarat Governor Pax Mangudadatu has offered a PHP1-million reward to anyone who can provide information that could lead to the arrest of the perpetrator. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...