Pres. Duterte names new BOC, PDEA chiefs

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday confirmed several new appointments to his administration.

Speaking to reporters at the Malago Clubhouse, Malacañang Park, he said Isidro Lapeña will be the new chief of the Bureau of Customs (BOC), replacing Nicanor Faeldon.

Duterte said Faeldon, who conveyed his intention to resign thrice, is “very disappointed” at the BOC.

He said he still believes in Faeldon describing him as a “good and honest” man. He noted that he is still open to give him a post in his government but has yet to decide on it.

“The Bureau of Customs has a rotten system. You need somebody to have a system there. A new one and a competent military man can do it just like General Lapeña. Kaya niya ‘yan. General Lapeña enjoys my confidence and trust, which is very important. Otherwise, we go back to the same old problem,” said Duterte.

“If he says that there will be a massive reorganization, sa kanya ‘yan. It’s his decision,” he added.

Lapeña, who is the current head of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), will be replaced by PNP Region 3 Regional Director Chief Superintendent Aaron Aquino.

Duterte said Aquino was previously assigned in Davao.

Meanwhile, Duterte clarified that Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief General Eduardo Año remains as his top choice for the DILG chief post.

The President, however, said while Año cannot assume post yet due to one-year appointment ban, he can make him his senior aide at the Office of the President or an undersecretary if legally feasible. (PND/PNA)  

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...