Duterte thanks U.S. for 3-M Moderna doses, says donation a factor in VFA renewal

 By Alec Go

President Rodrigo Duterte said in his Monday (Aug. 2) public address that he will personally witness the arrival on Tuesday night of three million Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses donated by the government of the United States through the COVAX global facility.

This donation follows the delivery of 3.2 million doses donated Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccines from the U.S. government last month, also through COVAX.

“Give and take lang tayo. Pasalamat tayo sa kanila. May naibigay naman ako sa kanila na concession. I conceded to the continuance of the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA),” Duterte said.

“I’d like to thank the President of the United States Biden, the government and the people of America for not forgetting us. Do not forget us because we share the same outlook sa geopolitics dito sa — especially Southeast Asia,” he added.

On July 30, Defense Sec. Delfin Lorenzana announced that Duterte decided to recall the abrogation of the VFA following a bilateral meeting with U.S. Defense Sec. Lloyd Austin in Malacañang on July 29.

 

Supply issue

The Chief Executive brought up the issue of limited vaccine supply in response to local government units’ call for additional doses to cover their priority beneficiaries.

He said the government remains committed “to protect all Filipinos,” but areas considered as hot spots for COVID-19 remain the priority.

“Ang problema dito, ang supply po — wala talaga, kulang. Kaya inuuna natin ang mga lugar na sinabi ko na where the transmission can be really faster than the usual places na wala masyadong tao,” he said.

“Kung parami nang parami ‘yan, it will be distributed to all of the government units, including the far-flung areas na hindi na maabot. We will see to it, I’m sure Secretary [Carlito] Galvez [Jr.] will see to it that dadating ang mga bakuna doon,” he added.

 As of Aug. 1, the Philippines has already administered more than 20 million vaccine doses.

However, vaccine czar Galvez said there is currently a challenge on completing the vaccination of senior citizens due to hesitancy on their part. – jlo

 

WATCH: President Rodrigo Duterte’s August 2, 2021 Talk to the Nation

 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...