President Marcos tests positive for COVID-19

By Alec Go

 

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has tested positive for COVID-19, Malacañang announced Friday afternoon, July 8.

Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles, in a Palace briefing, said Marcos tested positive in an antigen test for COVID-19.

“He has a slight fever, but he is otherwise okay. Those who had been in close contact with him are currently being informed by the Presidential Management Staff to observe their symptoms as per their protocol,” she said.

Presidential son Ilocos Norte Representative Sandro Marcos has tested negative, while First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos and sons Simon and Vincent “are all out of town and have not been exposed.”

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the President is no longer required to undergo a confirmatory RT-PCR testing, noting that an antigen test is already considered accurate if the patient is asymptomatic per government protocol.

“The President will be isolated for  seven days from the time that he was tested positive, and after that, if his symptoms have resolved already, he may be able to go back to work and have his face-to-face activities,” she said. 

Marcos will no longer physically attend the 246th anniversary of United States (US) independence at the US Embassy today.

He, however,  will deliver a speech virtually at the meeting of the league of governors and mayors tonight regarding the “continuing campaign for a series of vaccinations and booster shots in preparation for the face-to-face opening of classes this school year.”

The meeting’s dinner has been removed “to prevent officials from removing their masks.”

“The President encourages the public to get their vaccine series and boosters,” Angeles said. 

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...