Private sector urged to invest in Boracay projects

MANILA — The government urged private enterprises to invest in projects meant to support sustainable tourism in Boracay, on the eve of its reopening on Friday.

“So we are reopening, there are interventions done by the government but those are not enough. We still need to implement projects and programs that will rehabilitate the ecosystem of Boracay,” said National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Undersecretary for Regional Development Adoracion Navarro on Thursday here.

Navarro particularly cited opportunities to invest in sewerage and sanitation, and water supply expansion.

“We also included investment programs for sewerage. Baka kasi iniisip ng iba, kapag (perhaps others will think that if) investment for tourism, it’s really to rehabilitate the island, to make the island sustainable,” she noted.

Navarro said the Boracay Island Water Co. Inc. (BWIC) and Boracay Tubi Systems Inc. (BTSI) are the same water concessionaires in the island.

“I think the focus should be on the reasons why Boracay was closed and that has been discussed by the task force and that has been confirmed by subsequent testings in Boracay different indicators on the state of the environment,” she added.

The world-famous tourist destination had been closed to tourists for six months since April 26 to make way for the government’s rehabilitation efforts amid sewerage and environment-related problems.

Navarro further said that putting in place the sustainability of the island’s activities, including reliable infrastructure and utilities, is among the four themes outlined under the medium-term Boracay Action Plan (BAP), consisting of public and private sector projects.

Others include enforcement of laws and regulations, pollution control and prevention, and rehabilitation and recovery of the ecosystem, she added. (Leslie Gatpolintan/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...