PRO-12, 10ID strengthen cooperation vs. terror

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Police Regional Office (PRO)-12 and the Army’s 10th Infantry Division (ID) have strengthened their cooperation to address terrorism threats in local communities in Region 12 or Soccsksargen.

Chief Supt. Eliseo Tam Rasco, PRO-12 regional director, said Wednesday they signed a joint implementation plan (Implan) with the 10ID to “strategically end” bombing incidents in the area.

Soccsksargen stands for South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and General Santos City.

He said the Implan was finalized during a joint conference attended by top officials of the 10ID and PRO-12 at the regional police headquarters in Barangay Tambler here on Tuesday afternoon.

The Implan was signed by Rasco and 10ID commander Maj. Gen. Noel Clement.

“We mainly committed to work hard and pursue plans and programs that would pave the way for an even stronger partnership and collaborative actions to prevent bombing incidents in Soccsksargen,” Rasco said.

The region was rocked by several bomb attacks these past months blamed on terror cells of the Islamic State-inspired Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Ansar al-Khilafa Philippines (AKP).

The BIFF was tagged as behind the twin bomb attacks in Isulan town in Sultan Kudarat on Aug. 28 and Sept. 2 that killed five people and injured more than 40 others.

Several alleged AKP members had been charged in connection with bomb explosion in Makar junction, Barangay Apopong here last Sept. 16 that left eight people wounded.

Rasco said the Implan provides for the guidelines for their joint law enforcement and security operations to effectively “fight our enemies on the ground.”

He said it sets the necessary platform to address any form of violence as well as secure and protect residents and local communities against terrorism and violent extremism.

“It gives a working condition that necessitates our commitment and synergy to properly achieve our mandate to safeguard the people, their economic activities and resources against (security-related) vulnerabilities,” he added. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...