Proposed P1.1-B Bacolod underpass first in W. Visayas

By Nanette Guadalquiver – PNA News

BACOLOD CITY — Mayor Evelio Leonardia has endorsed the proposed PHP1.1-billion underpass project along Circumferential Road and C. L. Montelibano Drive to address the heavy traffic in the eastern side of the city.

“Since there is this proposal, we might as well grab that. That’s why there is a need for coordination among the city officials. As far as this project is concerned, we support this,” the mayor said on Tuesday.

Leonardia noted that it will be the first underpass in Western Visayas. The only other similar road project in the Visayas is in Cebu City.

“This will also enhance our image, that we are a modern city. Infrastructure-wise, we are conducive for growth. It will attract investors once they see the city’s economy is vibrant. Still, in the end, it should benefit our people up to the grassroots,” he added.

At present, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is conducting a feasibility study on the proposed 625-meter underpass project following the request of Bacolod City Lone District Rep. Greg Gasataya.

A team from the DPWH Bureau of Design, headed by Director Lea Delfinado, along with the group of consultant United Technologies Consolidated Partnership, presented the proposed project to Leonardia and Gasataya in Bacolod last November 8.

The mayor said that in preparation for the construction of the underpass, the city government is planning to construct a road at the end of Narra Street to provide another outlet towards the Circumferential Road.

The DPWH team will return to Bacolod to hold a consultation once the feasibility study is completed in February next year.

Meanwhile, Leonardia said a “different type of flyover” is still being considered along the Burgos Street-Circumferential Road area to further address traffic on the east side

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...