PRRD approves plan to sustain Boracay after its closure

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

The Philippines’ world-famous Boracay Island.

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has approved an action plan to sustain government efforts to rehabilitate and maintain the beauty of Boracay Island after its six-month shutdown which began April 26 last year.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte approved of the action plan during Monday’s six-hour Cabinet meeting.

“We likewise announce the approval of the Boracay Medium-Term Action Plan which will sustain the efforts of the government after its closure,” Panelo said in a statement on Tuesday.

Citing National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Director General and Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia and Undersecretary Adoracion Navarro, Panelo said the action plan will have four themes.

The action plan will ensure the “enforcement of laws where there will be intervention on the regulation of visitors and hotel accommodations.”

It will ascertain “prevention where there will be interventions on the sewerage infrastructure, solid and liquid waste management.”

The action plan will also ensure the “rehabilitation and recovery of ecosystems.”

It will guarantee the “sustainability of activities in the island such as improvement of roads and public health infrastructure, construction of permanent housing program for indigenous people and education facilities.”

Last year, Duterte ordered the temporary closure of Boracay Island after branding the tourist destination as a “cesspool” due to environmental problems brought about by a mismanaged sewerage system last year.

Boracay reopened its doors on Oct. 26, 2018 after being given the go-signal by the Boracay Inter-Agency Task Force to accept visitors.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...

Updated cash aid, transport support discussed during 7th UPLIFT Committee meeting led by PBBM

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous whole-of-government efforts to protect Filipinos from the impact of Middle East tensions on energy, transport, and food...

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...