President Rodrigo Duterte announced Monday (March 21) that the government’s cash assistance to indigent Filipinos amid successive fuel price hikes has been expanded to P500 from the previously approved P200.
Duterte said in his speech during the signing of Public Service Act amendments and the presentation of enacted laws that the monthly P200 subsidy is “too small.”
“Masyadong mababa ‘yan. It cannot sustain a family of thee, even four, five. ‘Yung sa baba pinakamaraming anak,” he said.
“Sabi ko kay [Finance Secretary] Sonny [Dominguez], it will be an uphill battle for the next generation kung gawain natin ng P500. I hope that this would go a long way really to help, huwag nang sayangin sa e-sabong,” he added.
In the same event, Duterte called on leaders and civil servants involved in governance to ensure that the rule of law is upheld and ensure the efficient implementation of laws.
The Chief Executive, along with other officials, presented recently signed laws for inclusive education, foreign investments, and amended age of determining statutory rape. – Report from Mela Lesmoras/AG-rir