PRRD OKs AFP, PNP deputation for BOL plebiscite, 2019 polls

By Earl Jed Roque/PNA

MANILA — President Rodrigo R. Duterte has concurred with the deputation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) to secure the upcoming plebiscite for the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) and the 2019 midterm elections.

“The foregoing law enforcement agencies and other concerned agencies are hereby directed to coordinate and cooperate with the Comelec (Commission on Elections) in the performance of their duties and functions,” the President stated in Memorandum Orders No. 34 and 35, which he issued on December 28 and were released to the media on Friday.

The Constitution mandates the Comelec to “deputize, with the concurrence of the President, law enforcement agencies and instrumentalities of the Government, including the Armed Forces of the Philippines, for the exclusive purpose of ensuring free, orderly, honest, peaceful, and credible elections.”

The Comelec earlier said that preparations for the plebiscite on the ratification of the BOL, which will be held on January 21 and February 6, are ongoing.

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año also said the extension of martial law in Mindanao will greatly help the police and the military ensure the peaceful conduct of the plebiscite.

The BOL, previously known as the Bangsamoro Basic Law and considered as one of Duterte’s biggest legislative achievements, seeks to give the Moro people basic legal tools to chart their own destiny within the country’s Constitutional framework.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...