PRRD orders probe on killing of NegOr lawyer

By Azer Parrocha/Philippine News Agency

President Rodrigo R. Duterte

MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered an investigation into the killing of lawyer Anthony Trinidad who was shot dead while driving his car along the national highway in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental.

His wife, Novie Marie, who was with him at the time, was injured and is now recuperating.

“PRRD has already ordered a thorough probe on the incident to determine who these perpetrators are and to ascertain the motive of the ambush,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement on Thursday.

Panelo condemned the incident, describing it as “atrocious” should it be discovered that the felony is “work-related.”

“The Office of the President strongly condemns the killing of Atty. Anthony Trinidad by two gunmen aboard a motorcycle in Negros Oriental, as well as the the infliction of bodily harm upon his wife,” Panelo said.

He also that government will prosecute the killers and ensure that they will face the appropriate penalties.

“We will prosecute these killers and ensure that they will face the appropriate punishment for such criminal act as we commit to deliver justice not just for the family of Atty. Trinidad but for the entire Filipino community,” he added.

Reports showed that Trinidad had been receiving death threats for several months before the attack since he has been tagged as a supporter of the New People’s Army (NPA), the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...