PRRD’s US trip being worked out: Palace

President Rodrigo R. Duterte and US President Donald Trump meet at the sidelines of the ASEAN Summit held in Manila last year. (Presidential Photo)

MANILA – Malacañang confirmed on Thursday Philippine Ambassador to Washington Jose Manuel Romualdez has been convincing President Rodrigo Duterte to accept the invitation of President Donald Trump to visit the United States.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Romualdez made the confirmation at the Philippine Airlines (PAL) event attended by Duterte last July 17 at the Terminal 2 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

“On the trip to the US, I will confirm that I had a short conversation with Romualdez during the PAL event and he has said that he will not give up on convincing the President to accept the pending invitation of President Trump for President Duterte to visit the United States, but I have no other details than that,” Roque said in a press briefing in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay.

Last Wednesday, Duterte said his trip to the US upon the invitation of his “friend” Trump “has something to do with the schedule” and “not because of anybody or any place there”.

“If it could only be a regional flight, where I can go fly-in and fly-out in the evening, that would be very easy. But the long haul of 13, 14 hours would kill me,” Duterte said in his speech in an event in Davao City.

Meanwhile, Roque refused to give details on Duterte’s upcoming visit to Israel tentatively in September.

“On Israel, I was going to take the position that I will defer to the Department of Foreign Affairs and I think you know why, the trip itself can be controversial,” Roque said.

Aside from US and Israel, Kuwait is also on the list of the possible next foreign trips of the President.

Last Wednesday, Special Assistant to the President (SAP) Christopher Bong Go said the President might pursue his plan to visit Kuwait in October, depending on the availability of Kuwait’s Emir Shaikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah. (Jelly Musico/PNA)

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...