PUVs in normal ops amid transport strike, says Palace

Motorists experience heavy traffic along the southbound lane– from the Sandiganbayan tunnel to Don Antonio Road in front of St. Peter Parish Church– along Commonwealth Avenue, Quezon City on Monday (July 18, 2022). (PNA photo by Ben Briones)/FILE

By Alec Go

Malacañang said public utility vehicles (PUV) remain in normal operations without any disruption except in select routes during the first day of the week-long transport strike on Monday, March 6.

In a 10:00 a.m. update, Malacañang said the Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA) Busway Carousel was not affected by the transportation protest.

The updates were based on the reports of the Department of Transportation, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB), Metropolitan Manila Development Authority, and the Philippine National Police.

Joel Bolano, Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board technical division head, said only “at least 10%” were affected as of 11:00 a.m.

“With the available rescue buses and Libreng Sakay, na-address po ,” he said.

“About the nationwide situation, only two areas in the county ang merong situation na katulad ng sa NCR [National Capital Region],” he added. “But the rest of the country as of 11 o’clock, normal po ‘yung kanilang situation sa kanilang public transport.”

Free rides have been provided by the government to aid affected commuters in Pasay, Marikina, Caloocan, and Quezon City.

Jeepneys plying the Calamba-Biñan route and the Calamba-Pacita Complex are in normal operations, according to Malacañang.

The LTFRB said there will be no increase in fare rates for rescue buses and UV Express units deployed in affected routes.

The transport strike was set to protest the implementation of the PUV modernization program. – gb

Popular

PBBM earns praise for role as ‘peacemaker’ in PH, Thailand, and Cambodia talks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Not long after decades of tension between Thailand and Cambodia boiled over in 2025 and resulted in months of trading gunfire...

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...