Qatar gov’t to help put up new PH school in the Gulf state: DFA

MANILA — The government of Qatar is “ready” to help put up another Philippine school in Qatar to address the educational needs of Filipino children in the middle eastern country, the DFA Office of Public Diplomacy disclosed to media over the weekend.

The DFA quoted Dr. Mohammed Bin Abdul Wahed Al-Hammadi, Qatar’s Minister of Education and Higher Education, as saying the Qatar government is ready to donate a parcel of land for a new Philippine school in Qatar, as long as a private business partner is willing to invest in the school.

The agency added the Qatari official had also welcomed the interest of the University of the Philippines to open a satellite campus in the Gulf state, as this would encourage Filipino students to stay in Qatar to complete their studies.

In a media statement, the DFA said the Qatar government had expressed interest to sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on education with the Philippines, on top of expanding the two states’ cooperation on the transport sector.

Philippine Ambassador to Qatar Alan Timbayan met with Al-Hammadi on April 3 to discuss matters related to education cooperation.

During the meeting, the DFA said, Al-Hammadi had reaffirmed Qatar’s interest in signing the “MOU on Cooperation in the Field of Education”.

The interest for the new aspect of partnership signals further strengthening of bilateral ties between the two states.

Earlier, Timbayan had secured Qatar capital Doha’s nod in further stretching its involvement in the transport sector. That was when the DFA official met with Jassim Saif Ahmed Al Sulaiti, Minister of Transportation and Communication of the State of Qatar, on April 2. (PNA)

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...