A month after the strong winds and torrential rains of typhoon Kiko hit Batanes and other parts of Northern Luzon last Sept. 10, the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) Batanes chapter continued its response through the distribution of additional non-food relief items in the area.
With seven volunteers mobilized, PRC Batanes Chapter Administrator Waldimar C. Ballada said they distributed relief items to 42 families in Brgy. Kaychanarianan, Basco on Oct. 20.
When Typhoon Kiko hit last month, destroying homes and affecting thousands of individuals, the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) immediately sent aid to the municipalities of Basco, Uyugan, Mahatao, and Sabtang providing shelter tool kits, tarpaulins for use as temporary shelter, jerry cans with water tablets for safe drinking water, solar lamps, flashlights, a motorcycle, and two portable generator units.
“Binibigyang diin ko, hindi tayo titigil dahil pandemya. Walang bagyo, lindol, o anumang iba pang emerhensiya ang makakahadlang sa mga Red Cross volunteers at staff. Patuloy naming paiigtingin ang aming tulong upang mapaglingkuran ang mga Pilipino, lalo na ang mga nangangailangan,” PRC Chairman and CEO Sen. Richard Gordon said. (PRC) – jlo