Rescued from Sayyaf, families return to Zamboanga Norte

Col. Hernani Songano, Naval Forces Western Mindanao (NFWM) deputy commander for marine operations (right), on Wednesday turns over the Javier family to Vice Mayor Jaime Felizarta of Sirawai, Zamboanga del Norte. Marine troops rescued the Javier family on Tuesday in Sulu. (Photo courtesy: Western Mindanao Command PIO)

ZAMBOANGA CITY–The two families rescued by marine troops from the hands of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) went home to Zamboanga del Norte on Thursday, the military reported.

Rescued in Barangay Gata, Talipao, Sulu on Tuesday evening were couple Feliciano and Elsa Javier, both 28 years and their five-month-old son, Vincent; and couple Junior and Rica Javier, both 22 years and their five-year-old son, Val. Feliciano and Junior are brothers.

Lt. Col. Gerry Besana, Western Mindanao Command (Westmincom) information officer, said the Javiers were fetched from this city by Vice Mayor Jaime Felizarta of Sirawai town, Zamboanga del Norte.

After their rescue, the victims were transported to the headquarters of the Naval Forces Western Mindanao (NFWM) in Zamboanga City on Wednesday.

Besana said they were later turned over to Felizarta by Col. Hernani Songano, NFWM deputy commander for marine operations.

The victims worked as caretakers in a farm in Sitio Maasom, Barangay San Nicolas, owned by Valiente Felizarta, the municipal engineer of Sirawai, and a brother of the vice mayor.

They were abducted by a kidnap-for-ransom-group led by Jamilon Tukalan, alias Jamilon Wahab, from Felizarta’s farm on June 28 and were later handed over to the ASG.

Vice Mayor Felizarta said over local television that the Javiers had seen the other hostages, who are still in the hands of the ASG in Sulu. Among them were Jade Quimbo and Jose Duterte, who were separately kidnapped in Zamboanga del Norte last year.

Quimbo, son of Vice Mayor Eddie Quimbo of Labason, Zamboanga del Norte, was kidnapped in downtown Labason in September last year.

Duterte, 62, and his wife, Jessica, 52, were abducted in Barangay Sta. Maria, Siocon, Zamboanga del Norte in March last year. Jessica was released months later last year.

Felizarta said the Javiers will return to their work despite their abduction. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr/PNA)

Popular

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...