Resource persons detained for lying in PDEA leaks probe released

IN CONTEMPT. Senate Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs chairperson Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa (left photo) cites in contempt former National Police Commission employee Eric Santiago (with raised fist, upper right photo), and former Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) agent Jonathan Morales for “continuously lying” before the panel on Monday (May 20, 2024). Morales is suspected of being behind the circulation of the alleged PDEA documents on social media linking President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to illegal drugs. (PNA photos by Avito Dalan)

By Leonel Abasola | Philippine News Agency

Senate President Francis Escudero on Friday announced the release from detention of former Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) agent Jonathan Morales and former National Police Commission staff Eric Santiago, who were both cited in contempt for lying during hearings on the so-called “PDEA leaks”.

Escudero said the two were allowed to go home Thursday night after Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada and Sen. Ronald Dela Rosa informed him in separate calls that they were allowing the release.

Estrada cited Morales in contempt for lying about his personal record while Santiago earned Dela Rosa’s ire for admitting that he bluffed Morales so he could appear before the Senate probe.

On Wednesday night, Estrada had a one-on-one conversation with Morales inside the Senate detention facility.

Escudero said he also got a chance to talk to the two detained resource persons during his inspection of all offices in the Senate building.

As a rule, resource persons cited in contempt can be released from Senate detention if the investigating committee is satisfied with their testimony or if Congress adjourns.

The Second Regular Session of the 19th Congress adjourned sine die on Wednesday.

The Third Regular Session will open in July, coinciding with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.‘s third State of the Nation Address.

During the fourth and supposedly last hearing of the Senate Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs on May 20, former executive secretary Paquito Ochoa denied the claim of Morales that he ordered the halt of an alleged surveillance operation against then-senator Marcos and actress Maricel Soriano in 2012.

Ochoa said he does not know former PDEA deputy director general Carlos Gadapan, whom he supposedly ordered to discontinue with the operation.

In a previous hearing, former PDEA director general Dionisio Santiago called Morales an STL (story telling liar).

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...