Rioters target Apple Store in daylight looting in French city

A municipal employee works in front of a looted shop following a fourth consecutive night of rioting in France sparked by the death of teenage driver Nahel by a police bullet, in Lyon, south-eastern France on July 1, 2023. – The clashes continued despite France deploying 45,000 officers, the highest number of any night since the start of the protests, backed by light armoured vehicles and elite police units. Police made more than 1,000 arrests and the country braced for more riots ahead of the funeral of the 17-year-old teenager who was killed by a police officer during a traffic stop. (Photo by OLIVIER CHASSIGNOLE / AFP)

Agence France-Presse

Young rioters went on a daylight looting spree Friday, June 30, in the French city of Strasbourg, targeting an Apple Store and other shops following the fatal shooting of a teen by a policeman near Paris.

Fearing an outbreak of vandalism, police had earlier locked down access to a shopping mall in the center of the eastern French city, where one of the Apple Store’s entrances is located.

But groups of youths gathered at another entrance to the store, outside the mall, and began to vandalize it, witnesses said.

“They broke two of the store’s windows, and we saw gangs of young people going in and coming out, in and out, trying to steal display items,” Corentin Flinck, who works in a neighboring shop, told AFP.

Police used teargas against the looters, he said, as regular shoppers sought refuge inside stores.

Several police arrived to block access to the Apple Stores, and explosions were heard.

Staff at nearby department store Galeries Lafayette lowered metal shutters for protection, as did other stores in the neighborhood.

Several luxury goods shops had already emptied their window displays, but other shops, selling clothes or shoes, were plundered, an AFP reporter said.

Rioters also damaged a police vehicle.

Eleven people were arrested, according to the interior ministry.

The entrance to the Strasbourg opera house was also damaged, and Friday evening’s performance canceled.

The unrest was sparked by the killing of 17-year-old Nahel on Tuesday in the western Paris suburb of Nanterre. – gb

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...