Roque presses for the passage of Universal Health Care

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Jr. on Wednesday, October 3, met with different government officials in Malacanang to discuss the pressing matter of Universal Health Care (UHC). The meeting was called to discuss the differing provisions of the House version and the measure pending before the Senate in the hopes of further fast-tracking the highly-anticipated law.

Secretary Roque filed a bill on UHC when he was a member of the House of Representatives and he played a key role in pushing the measure through the House, which passed its version in September 2017.

The Senate has just finished the period of interpellations on its version, which Senator Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito, Chair of the Senate Committee on Health and Demography, is determined to pass before the end of October. Roque previously said, once passed, this bill will be groundbreaking because beneficiaries will be entitled to health coverage simply by virtue of their citizenship as Filipinos. “[O]ne of the key features of this bill is it enables all individuals and communities to receive the full spectrum of health services they need, from health promotion to prevention, treatment, rehabilitation and palliative care,” he added.

The prioritization of the Universal Health Care Bill bespeaks of the Duterte Administration’s unrelenting commitment to provide the marginalized and disadvantaged with sufficient and better health care services. “We recognize that health is not just merely the absence of disease or infirmity but a complete state of physical, mental and social well-being. I for one look forward to the day when this historic piece of legislation becomes a law,” Roque added. Among those present in the meeting were Health Secretary Francisco Duque, Senator JV Ejercito, House Committee on Health Chairperson Helen Tan, and several officials of the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth). #OPS-Content

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...