Russia wants to continue ‘highest level’ of engagement with PH

STRENGTHENING TIES. Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov shake hands during the former’s visit to Moscow in May 2017. At that time, Cayetano represented President Rodrigo Duterte who had to cut short his trip to Russia after Islamic militants took over Marawi City. (Photo courtesy of PCOO)

MANILA — Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Tuesday night confirmed that Moscow is keen to expand the high-level engagement between the two countries with President Vladimir Putin’s future visit to Manila.

Lavrov on Tuesday had a bilateral meeting with Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, who was in Moscow for a two-day official visit.

“My colleague and my friend has conveyed President Duterte’s message to President Putin, which contains the invitation extended to our president in May of last year,” Lavrov said during a joint press conference at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Mansion in Moscow when asked if the Russian leader will visit the Philippines in the future.

“We have confirmed that we want to continue our context (of meetings) on the highest level,” he said.

Lavrov bared that the two parties have now decided to “accelerate” preparation of the necessary documents needed for a possible trip, to which, he said are now being considered by relevant Russian agencies.

“We, as the heads of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, will provide the coordination of this work and we have reasons to believe it will be accelerated,” Lavrov said.

Duterte, who visited Moscow in May 2017, had to cut short his trip after Islamic militants took over Marawi City. Cayetano stayed behind to represent him for the rest of the trip. ( Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA)

Popular

Logistics pact to boost provision of supplies, services between PH, Japan forces —DND

By Brian Campued The Philippines and Japan’s defense ties continue to deepen as the Acquisition and Cross-Servicing Agreement (ACSA) entered into force Saturday, establishing a...

Drop in poverty incidence affirms effective gov’t programs

By Jose Cielito Reganit | Philippine News Agency The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) believes the historic drop in poverty incidence to 9.7%...

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...