San Juan LGU to help victims file raps over unruly ‘Wattah’ revelers

UNRULY ‘BASAAN’. Mayor Francis Zamora and the San Juan local government douse the crowd with water using a fire hose at the “Wattah Wattah Festival” along Pinaglabanan Street on Monday (June 24, 2024). The festival is a yearly celebration that honors the city’s patron saint, John the Baptist. (Photo courtesy of Ben Briones/PNA)

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

The San Juan local government is ready to assist those who would want to file charges over the troubles and destructions caused by residents during the city’s “Wattah Wattah” festival on June 24, Mayor Francis Zamora said Friday.

In a radio interview, Zamora apologized over the festival’s turnout and stressed that the city does not tolerate unruly behavior.

Videos circulated on social media showed residents harassing motorists and passersby, dousing them without consent, and damaging belongings, including gadgets and documents.

Reports also said a resident was splashed with muriatic acid while a police officer was deliberately splashed with water.

“Itinurn-over na ito sa pulis at sa ABC (Association of Barangay Captains) president ng San Juan. Pinapa-trace na po ang mga taong nakita sa video na clearly nag-violate ng ordinance,” Zamora said.

The local government unit’s (LGU) Ordinance No. 51 prohibits acts such as forcibly opening private vehicles, hurting other residents, and splashing water on public utility vehicles during the festival.

Violators will be penalized with a fine of P2,500 with one day of community service (first offense), P3,500 with three days of community service (second offense), and P5,000 with one to six days of imprisonment (third offense).

“Ang city government, pwede sila file-an ng kaso but up to the level lang ng city ordinance. But if gusto natin na mas may ngipin ang batas na gagamitin, we can use the Revised Penal Code (RPC). But under the legal process, para ang RPC ang magamit, sila mismo dapat ang mag file ng complaint,” Zamora said.

Under the RPC, Zamora said violators can be charged with unjust vexation or slight physical injuries, which carry a heavier penalty.

He likewise encouraged participants or witnesses with relevant photos or videos of alleged violations to submit them to the San Juan City Tourism and Cultural Affairs Office, which will be forwarded to the San Juan City Police Station for investigation.

The mayor, meanwhile, assured the implementation of some adjustments for the annual observance, held in honor of the city’s patron, St. John the Baptist.

These include establishing a zone “within the Pinaglabanan area” where basaan (water splashing) activities can be held without disrupting those who are only passing by and do not intend to join the activity.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...