Sarangani speeds up relocation of residents in danger zones

GENERAL SANTOS CITY–The provincial government of Sarangani is pushing for the speedy relocation, starting this year, of residents living in identified disaster danger zones in three coastal municipalities.

Rene Punzalan, head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), said Wednesday they are currently working on the purchase of at least three relocation sites for more than 300 families living in danger zones.

Punzalan said the Sangguniang Panlalawigan approved during its regular session on Tuesday the purchase of a 5,000-square meter relocation site in Maitum town. It also granted authority to Sarangani Gov. Steve Chiongbian Solon to sign the deed of absolute sale for the property, which is worth around P800,000.

Punzalan said the site will initially accommodate 100 families settled near the shores of Barangay Old Poblacion, Maitum.

He said they are pushing for the purchase of additional relocation site for around 100 more households from the area, which is at risk of huge tidal waves.

The official said they are also working on the approval by the provincial board of the purchase of another property worth P2 million in Kiamba town to facilitate the relocation of around 100 families.

The target beneficiaries are currently settled near the shores and by the river banks in Barangays Lagundi, Kling and Kayupo.

Aside from these, Punzalan said negotitiations are ongoing for the purchase of another relocation site for residents situated on critical river banks in Barangays Maribulan and Baluntay, Alabel town.

Punzalan said Alabel Mayor Vic Paul Salarda is assisting the negotiations for the potential relocation sites as most of the lands in Maribulan and Baluntay are owned by private companies.

Since 2014, PDDRMO records showed that more 1,000 families living in disaster danger zones had been relocated to safer areas by the provincial government.

“This remains a top priority as we continue to strengthen our disaster preparedness programs,” Punzalan said.

He said the local government, through its Sulong Kaligtasan program, has allotted funds for the relocation of informal settlers as well as those in danger zones.

The sites and beneficiaries are selected based on assessments of the PDRRMO and recommendations from the barangay and municipal governments, he said.

He added that the purchase of the relocation sites undergo stringent evaluation process through the provincial appraisal committee, which is headed by the office of the provincial assessor. (PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...