SC resets oral arguments on writ of kalikasan suit

By Benjamin Pulta/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — The Supreme Court (SC) has rescheduled the oral arguments originally scheduled next week on a “writ of kalikasan” suit questioning government action on a disputed territory off Palawan.

“The oral argument on G.R. No. 246209 (Monico A. Abogado, et al. vs. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Represented by Secretary Roy A. Cimatu, et al.) set on June 25, 2019, has been moved to July 2, 2019, Tuesday,” the SC said in an advisory sent to newsmen Wednesday.

Last week, the High Court originally scheduled oral arguments on a petition for writ of kalikasan against the government to protect and rehabilitate the marine environment in Panatag Shoal, Ayungin Shoal, and Panganiban Reef.

A writ of kalikasan was sought by petitioners Monico A. Abogado, citing supposed violations of environmental laws in the Philippine waters and in the Philippine Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) in said areas.

The suit was brought by members of the Kalayaan Palawan Farmers and Fisherfolk Association who are members of the fisherfolk community in the municipality of Kalayaan in Palawan, while the others are residents of Sitio Kinabukasan, Cawag, Zambales.

The group cited supposed violation of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna, the Philippine Fisheries Code, and Presidential Decree 1586 or Establishing the Environmental Impact Statement System in the Philippines.

Writ of kalikasan (nature) is a legal remedy under Philippine law that provides protection of one’s Constitutional right to a healthy environment, as provided in Section 16, Article II of the Constitution, which says the “state shall protect and advance the right of the people to a balanced and healthful ecology in accord with the rhythm and harmony of nature.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...