Sea vessels resume operations in Antique

By Annabel Consuelo Petinglay/PNA

Philippine Coast Guard-Antique Station Commander Perlita Cinco says passenger vessels and fishing boats are already allowed to sail effective Thursday, Nov. 22, 2018. Boat trips were cancelled on Nov. 19 in anticipation of the coming of Tropical Depression Samuel. (PNA-Antique file photo)

SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA, Antique – Sea vessels have resumed their operations in Antique following the lifting of the stoppage order by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) due to improved weather condition on Thursday.

PCG Antique Station Commander Perlita Cinco said that effective Thursday morning, passenger vessels and fishing boats had been allowed again to venture out to sea.

“The passenger sea vessels and fishing boats’ operation have now resumed,” Cinco said.

She noted that vessels that have resumed their operation are the Argo 2 and 3, which have an estimated capacity of 200 persons each. They regularly transport passengers from Libertad to Caluya Mainland every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Another passenger boat, Kalayaan, will also depart from Semirara Island in Caluya on Friday. It transports passengers Friday and Monday from Semirara to Mindoro.

The Philippine Coast Guard sent out advisories to boat operators last Monday evening banning sea travel, in anticipation of the adverse effect of Tropical Depression Samuel that placed Antique and the rest of Panay Island under Tropical Storm Warning Signal No. 1.

Cinco, however, said that despite their advisory, they received a report that two fishermen — Leomer Baldivia, 31, and Lawrence Cordova, 40, both residents of Barangay San Pedro in San Jose de Buenavista, failed to return home after sailing out to sea last Monday, Nov. 19.

“Our Coast Guard personnel immediately conducted search and rescue (SAR) operation upon receiving the report today,” Cinco said.

She said relatives of the missing fishermen are also helping out in the SAR operation, which is still ongoing as of this writing.

The fishermen on board a white and green vessel are believed to have gone fishing approximately 20 miles from the shorelines of Barangay San Pedro.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...