Search for missing ‘sabungeros’ in Taal Lake may start this week — DOJ

Photo courtesy: DOJ / FILE

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla on Monday said the search for the remains of the missing “sabungeros” supposedly dumped in Taal Lake may start within the week.

In an interview with reporters, Remulla said the technical dives and bed mapping of Taal Lake for remains will proceed despite recent eruptions.

“We’re asking them to start this week. Ang basic plan natin, we want to map it out and look at the condition so we can plan how to go about it,” he said.

He said investigators want to initiate searches in fishponds supposedly linked to figures named in the ongoing investigation.

Whistleblower Julie “Dondon” Patidongan, alyas Totoy, earlier said the disappearances of these sabungeros were part of orders by a syndicate controlling the multi-billion-peso cockfight industry, which saw marked growth when it went online during the pandemic.

He claimed that the so-called “Alpha” group was composed of 20 businessmen and influential investors controlling all aspects of the games.

“Merong fishpond leased ‘yong isang suspect na tinutukoy natin… Bali, ‘yon ang ating ground zero natin sa start,” Remulla said.

“We think that the clues that we got regarding the site may be accurate in many ways. There will be layers of sediments because there are eruptions going on. There will be murkiness in the waters because of the weather. But that being the case, it doesn’t stop us from looking into the lake as the resting place of many of those missing people.”

Meanwhile, Remulla said he has met with justices of the Supreme Court over the alleged lobbying group that supposedly includes a retired judge working as a fixer for court cases involving the cockfight industry.

“We exchanged words already about it. We had the initial contact this morning. They are investigating. They’re doing their job. Hindi naman sila balat-sibuyas. They’re very sensitive about what should be done to improve our justice system,” he said.

“And that’s what we’ve been agreeing on since we started three years ago with the justice sector coordinating council. Kaya we’re always in agreement with regards to how to improve the justice system. And the Supreme Court is the best ally that we have for this.”

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...