Senators call for expanded aid, united response amid oil price hikes

Photo courtesy: JM Olarte | Radyo Pilipinas Albay

By Wilnard Bacelonia | Philippine News Agency

Senators called on Monday for a coordinated government response and expanded support measures to cushion the impact of rising oil prices amid tensions in the Middle East.

Senator Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito proposed creating an inter-agency body to coordinate austerity measures and manage potential fuel supply disruptions, citing the need for early action, “’Wag na natin hintayin na lumala pa ang krisis, dapat naghahanda na tayo.”

He warned of a “domino effect” on food, transport, and other goods if oil supply is disrupted, noting the global dependence on Middle Eastern oil.

Meanwhile, Senator Risa Hontiveros urged a multi-pronged response beyond fuel excise tax suspension, including expanded subsidies for the transport sector, “Kailangan makinig at umaksyon ang pamahalaan sa daing ng ating mga tsuper at commuter.”

Hontiveros cited her proposed P52.8 billion subsidy package, including P12 billion for transport aid, and called for faster distribution of assistance to drivers and operators.

Oil prices, with diesel breaching the triple-digit mark last week, have reached record high for the past week amid the war in the Middle East, affecting transport workers.

Last week, tricycle drivers in Metro Manila were given a P5,000 fuel subsidy to help them cope with the rising prices.

The fuel subsidy program for the transport sector will be expanded nationwide starting April 6, Malacañang said Monday. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...