Senators eye ‘audit’ of 4Ps

By Filane Mikee Cervantes/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Senate President Vicente Sotto III, along with Senators Panfilo Lacson and Gringo Honasan II, is planning to call for a congressional inquiry into the implementation of the government’s Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps).

In a text message on Monday, Lacson cited the need to conduct a “performance audit or review” of the 4Ps program to find out what it has achieved so far.

“We plan to call for a hearing to inquire into the proper use of the 4P’s program including its accomplishments in accordance with its defined objective, the accounting of the monies so far disbursed and other relevant issues surrounding the program,” Lacson said.

“It started during the last two years of the Arroyo administration and the allocations have increased many times over,” he added.

The plan to conduct a Senate inquiry on the matter came into fore after the Department of the Interior and Local Government barred all local elective officials and politicians from taking part in national government programs and activities, particularly in attending payouts that could be used as a platform to advance their political interests.

Sotto, for his part, said a Senate inquiry is “in order” to rationalize the operation of the Pantawid program.

“Firstly, where there is smoke there is fire. Secondly, other countries and international companies spend billions on research and development yet we appropriate a very measly amount to science and communications technology,” Sotto said.

“So we want to find out how the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) budget is being spent on cash-outs,” Sotto said.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...