Severe tropical storm ‘Betty’ leaves PAR

HIMAWARI-9 satellite image as of June 1, 2023, 5:00 p.m. (Photo from DOST-PAGASA)

By Alec Go

Severe tropical storm (STS) ‘Betty’ has left the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Thursday afternoon, June 1, as it continued to weaken while moving north-northeastward.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said “Betty,” with international name “Mawar,” was 685 kilometers (km) northeast of Itbayat, Batanes as of 4:00 p.m.

It is moving with maximum sustained winds of 95 km per hour (km/h) near the center and gustiness of up to 115 km/h.

All tropical cyclone wind signals have been lifted.

However, a gale warning is currently in effect over the northern seaboards of northern Luzon, the eastern seaboard of Luzon, and the western seaboard of Southern Luzon.

PAGASA said the southwest monsoon (habagat) will cause rains in the country that may trigger flooding and rain-induced landslides.

Enhances habagat is also forecast to bring occasional to frequent wind gusts in the next 24 hours over northern Cagayan including Babuyan Islands, Ilocos Region, Cordillera Administrative Region, Central Luzon, Metro Manila, Calabarzon, Bicol Region, Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Northern Samar, and the northern portion of Samar. – gb

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...