Shellfish ban up in 3 Eastern Visayas bays due to red tide

TACLOBAN CITY — The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) has imposed shellfish ban on three bays in Leyte and Samar provinces due to the recurrence of red tide.

BFAR found the red tide bloom in Villareal Bay in Samar, Matarinao Bay in Eastern Samar, and the coastal waters of the municipality of Leyte in Leyte province after a week-long laboratory analysis.

“The recurrence of red tide is highly expected in Matarinao and Leyte coastal waters because both areas are semi-enclosed and it takes time before the sea water flushes out,” BFAR Regional Director Juan Albaldejo said on Thursday.

Red tide bloom was found in Villareal Bay just this week. Matarinao Bay have been positive to the phenomenon since last week while the coastal waters of Leyte town have been hit by algae bloom in the past eight months.

The presence of red tide in both meat and water calls for prohibition of gathering, trading and consumption of shellfish from identified areas over the possibility of shellfish poisoning.

“It’s good that we have an accredited laboratory here in the region. We don’t have to wait for confirmation from our main office to be able to warn people of red tide phenomenon,” Albaladejo added.

BFAR conducts weekly monitoring of sea water in bays hit by red tide in the past, but for positive areas, authorities examine water and meat samples three times weekly.

The fisheries bureau advised the public to refrain from eating, harvesting, selling, and buying shellfish products and Acetes sp. (small shrimps) from the affected bays until such time that the shellfish toxicity level has gone down below the regulatory level.

Fish caught in these areas are safe for human consumption provided these are fresh, and washed and cooked thoroughly, according to the BFAR advisory. (Sarwell Meniano/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...