Shifting of classes resolves shortage of classrooms

SAN JOSE De BUENAVISTA, Antique — Some schools in the Antique Division of the Department of Education (DepEd) have to implement shifting of classes or put up makeshift classrooms in order to resolve room shortage.

Dr. Gaudencio C. Riego, Chief Education Supervisor of the DepEd Antique Curriculum and Implementation Division, said in an interview that schools like the Antique National School (ANS), which has 27 sections per year level, had to implement shifting of classes just to be able to accommodate students.

“There is a morning class that starts at 6 o’ clock in the morning to 1 o’clock in the afternoon and an afternoon class from 1 o’clock in the afternoon to 8 o’clock in the evening,” he said.

He said that other schools had to temporarily make use of their libraries and gymnasium as classrooms.

Dr. Riego attributed the classroom shortage to the increase in the enrollment of students by 11.63 percent in the senior high school particularly in the Grade 11. Last year there were only 6,265 students but this school year the population increased to 7,006 students.

“There are also ongoing school building constructions,” he said.

Antique has 5,035 public schools; 54 are secondary schools.

The construction of school buildings in secondary schools is ongoing so they could cater to more enrollees.

The DepEd teams that started their weeklong monitoring of the opening of classes Monday also reported that 90 percent of the students in elementary and high school had attended the last Monday flag ceremony.

Dr. Riego said that they are also thankful for the police assistance extended to ensure that the students could safely attend their classes.(Perla Lena/PNA)

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...