Shredded documents in DOJ ‘unofficial’: Guevarra

MANILA — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the shredded documents at the Department of Justice (DOJ) were unimportant ones, noting that his predecessor Vitaliano Aguirre II has nothing to do with such act.

Last week, Guevarra said that he would look into the alleged shredding of documents prior to the resignation of Aguirre.

“Our initial findings show that Aguirre had nothing to do with it. It looks like Aguirre’s staff took it upon themselves to dispose of unimportant papers. That’s why the (Office of the Secretary) was so bare and empty when I came in,” Guevarra said in a text message Saturday.

Guevarra dispelled insinuations that the documents may have been shredded to wipe off any evidence of irregularities during his predecessor’s tenure at the DOJ.

“The papers shredded were waste papers like drafts, duplicates, invitations and the like, and that no important file or document seemed to be missing, at least as of today,” he said.

The Justice Secretary noted the investigation into the incident is still ongoing as they are still trying to find out if other DOJ offices had also destroyed office documents.

Aguirre has earlier denied that he ordered the shredding of documents during his last day at the agency.

“Foremost, I did not order any of my personnel to shred documents during my last day in the office at the DOJ. If any shredding was done, I know nothing about it,” Aguirre said.

“Assuming, for the sake of argument that it was true, what is wrong with shredding papers when what were shredded were already considered waste? The shredding could have been done to prepare the office for the incoming Justice Secretary. We can even surmise that it was done to get rid of unneeded or unwanted documents. In fact, shredding of documents is being regularly done in public and private offices,” he added. (Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)

Popular

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...

DepEd launches ‘EduKahon’ kits to ensure learning continuity in calamity-hit schools

By Brian Campued In line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to strengthen the education sector’s preparedness during disasters, the Department of Education (DepEd)...

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...