Social workers on-call 24/7 to aid loitering minors: DSWD

MANILA — In an effort to rid the streets of loitering youths, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Wednesday assured that their centers and social workers will be on-call 24/7 to give necessary assistance to poor Filipinos aged 18 and below.

DSWD Secretary Virginia Orogo made this remark after President Rodrigo R. Duterte, on Monday, ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to pick up loitering teenagers to protect them from crime and illegal drugs.

Orogo said that DSWD centers’ doors will be open to loitering youths the same way they are open to street children and their families.

Yung DSWD matagal na pong may programa para sa mga batang nasa kalsada. Ang ginagawa po namin, pag dumating po sa aming mga centers, sila po ay aming inaalagan at inaayos yung kanilang case (The DSWD already has a program for children in the streets. What we are doing is, when they arrive at our centers, they are taken care of and we try to fix their case),” Orogo said in a Palace briefing.

DSWD has previously urged the public to report, through Twitter, sightings of street children so that social workers can be sent to rescue them.

Moreover, Orogo said social workers also take calls through the national emergency and complaint hot lines, 911 and 8888, respectively.

Merong mga social workers po, sinabi nga natin sa DSWD ngayon, 24/7, on-call. May mga field offices po kami na pag tinawagan po sila ay pumupunta naman po sila doon at yung mga social workers, inaayos yung kanilang mga case (There are social workers, we’ve said that the DSWD is now open 24/7, on-call. There are field offices that immediately attend to their needs and attend to their cases),” Orogo said.

Yung mga children, kung may mga magulang ‘yan, kinakausap yung magulang, kung wala po dinadala natin sila sa centers (And the children, if they have parents, social workers talk to them, if they don’t, we bring them to our centers),” he added.

Orogo said that at present, the DSWD has a total of 72 centers but usually accommodate senior citizens. However, she said that the agency is currently adding 50 more beds in each center to accommodate more people.

There is also an upcoming program called “Silungan sa Barangay,” meant to allocate space for street kids and their families, which is on the table for further study.

Meron po kaming bago ngayong ilulunsad na programa ito yung tinatawag naming Silungan sa Barangay. Ito po ay bagong programa kung saan kakailanganin namin ang tulong ng bawat mamamayan sa barangay (We are going to launch a program called Silungan sa Barangay. This is a new program where we will need the help of every citizen),” she added.

The DSWD chief, meanwhile, renewed her call for support from stakeholders to address the plight of poor Filipino children whose lives are at risk on the streets. (Azer Parrocha/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...