South Korean man wanted for illegal drugs arrested

Bureau of Immigration logo (Photo/ BI)

By Brian Jules Campued

A South Korean national wanted for trading illegal drugs was nabbed in Pampanga by agents of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) last Jan. 18.

According to a statement released Monday, the BI said its Fugitive Search Unit (FSU) apprehended 43-year old Park Yong at his residence in Angeles City through a warrant from Commissioner Norman Tansingco.

Tansingco had also signed a summary deportation order from the BI Board of Commissioners against Park in December 2023.

FSU chief Rendel Ryan Sy announced that the South Korean fugitive was detained in a warden facility at Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City until his deportation.

“He will thus be deported immediately as soon as the BI secures the necessary clearances for his departure.  He has also been placed in the immigration blacklist to prevent him from re-entering the country,” Sy added.

Allegedly, Park sold methamphetamine drugs or locally known as “shabu” through an advertisement posted on the internet in July 2016, according to Korean authorities.

The buyers were then told to pick up the illegal drugs from discreet locations.

“Investigation also bared that Park is already an overstaying alien as BI records show that he last arrived in the Philippines on Sept. 15, 2019 and has not departed since then,” the agency added.

An Interpol Red Notice against Park was finally released following his arrest warrant issued by the Suwon District Court for violating South Korea’s Narcotics Control Act, the bureau’s Border Control and Intelligence Unit (BCIU) revealed. – avds

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...