Stiff sanctions await violators of pandemic campaign rules: DILG

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

 

Stiff sanctions await political aspirants and their supporters who will be found breaking election campaign rules set at a time of pandemic, the spokesperson of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) warned Monday (Jan. 31).

During a Laging Handa briefing Monday, DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said penalties for the campaign infractions vary depending on the nature of the violation as stated under Comelec Resolution 10732 which institutionalizes the new normal in holding physical campaigns, rallies and meetings based on the Alert Level in a certain area.

“We are asking the cooperation and help of the politicians, their supporters and political parties to follow these guidelines since any violation of the rules and regulations implemented by the Comelec is an election offense,’’ Malaya said in Filipino.

Malaya said the Comelec resolution is “stricter” than the guidelines of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.

Violators would be disqualified to hold public office and may also be disqualified to exercise the right to vote in future elections.

Persons violating the minimum public health standards face jail terms of not less than one month but not exceeding six months or payment of fine not less than P20,000 but not more than P50,000.

“The penalties stated in the law are stiff, hopefully the Comelec, DILG and our candidates, their supporters and political parties will join hands to achieve an orderly political campaign,’’ he said in Filipino.

The Comelec resolution, issued in November last year, states that contact campaigning, or handshakes, hugs, kisses, arm-and-arm or any action that involves physical contact among the candidates, their companions and the public, are prohibited.

Other prohibited acts include house-to-house campaigning even with the owner’s permission, taking selfies and distributing food and drinks.

Malaya issued the reminder to political aspirants ahead of the start of the campaign period for nationally-elected positions on February 8 and March 25 for local candidates.

Malaya said Interior Secretary Eduardo Año has issued an order to the local government units and the Philippine National Police to dispatch their teams to ensure that poll campaign guidelines are strictly observed. (PNA)     -rir

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...