Suspected measles outbreak in Sarangani now ‘under control’

By PNA

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The suspected measles outbreak that has killed at least 21 children in an upland community in Malapatan town, Sarangani Province is now under control, a local health official said on Thursday.

Dr. Arvin Alejandro, chief of the Sarangani Provincial Health Office (PHO), said the spread of the disease has slowed down based on their latest monitoring in 11 affected sitios of Barangay Upper Suyan, Malapatan.

“There is not much increase in cases so far and our field personnel are continually working on totally containing it,” he said in a radio interview.

Since the outbreak was first reported in the first week of November, a total of 109 suspected measles cases have been validated in the area by the PHO’s epidemiology and surveillance unit (PESU).

The affected areas were sitios Lower Kyugam, Alna, Mahayag, Upper Kyugam, Lino, Alnaob, Datalnay, Dlandang, Akbual, Mission and Klarak.

The latest fatality was a three-year-old boy, who succumbed to severe complications caused by suspected measles at a hospital here.

Most of the patients were aged 15 years old and below, with 60 percent within the one to five-years old range.

PHO is still awaiting the results of the confirmatory tests on the samples it earlier sent to the Department of Health’s Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa City.

As of Thursday, Alejandro said at least 15 patients are still confined at the R.O. Diagan Hospital here, the designated treatment and isolation facility for affected residents.

He said the massive vaccination activities are ongoing in the affected sitios and their neighboring communities.

“While the cases have subsided, we can’t be complacent as shown by the latest outbreak,” he said.

The vaccination drive already covered around 2,000 children or 80 percent of their target, he said.

Alejandro said the municipal health offices of nearby Alabel and Glan town have also launched massive measles vaccination campaigns to prevent the possible emergence of the disease in their areas.

He said they have tapped the barangay councils and local volunteers to cover more far-flung areas.

“They are revisiting the remote areas and reaching out to those that were not covered in previous campaigns to ensure that all eligible children would be vaccinated,” he added.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...