Sweden assures justice for murdered Filipina: DFA

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA

Consul General Maria Elena Algabre of the Philippine embassy in Oslo, Norway with the brother and cousin of Mailyn Conde Sinambong in Stockholm, Sweden. (Photo courtesy of DFA)

MANILA — Swedish authorities have reassured the family of Mailyn Conde Sinambong, the Filipina murdered by her husband in a district in Stockholm last September 2018, that justice will be served.

Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato on Monday said the reassurance was given by prosecutors to Sinambong’s brother, Angel Monato and cousin Maritchu Osabel, during a meeting in Stockholm last week.

The two relatives were flown in from Cebu by the DFA Office of Migrant Workers Affairs (OMWA) and were accompanied by Consul General Maria Elena Algabre from the Philippine Embassy in Oslo and OMWA Case Officer Suzette Aluag-Callo.

The embassy arranged for the two relatives to view the body of Sinambong and meet with all relevant Swedish authorities.

Meanwhile, no schedule was provided yet as to when her remains will be repatriated back to the Philippines. “(We) will issue a separate bulletin on that,” Cato said.

Sinambong, a Filipina mother of two, succumbed to injuries after she was severely beaten by her husband, Steve Abou Bakr Aalam, on September 23 in Kista district.

Sinambong’s son is currently staying with his paternal uncle while her daughter is with the foster family that has been taking care of her since birth.

The embassy has recently hired a lawyer to see how Sinambong’s mother in Cebu could secure custody of her children.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...