SWS: More Filipinos experienced hunger in last quarter of 2023

SWS survey on hunger 2023
Data from the Social Weather Stations (SWS).

By Brian Jules Campued

More Filipinos experienced involuntary hunger in December 2023, results from the poll conducted by the Social Weather Stations (SWS) showed.

The SWS survey conducted from December 8-11 found that 12.6% of Filipino families experienced “being hungry and not having anything to eat at least once in the past three months.”

The figure rose by 2.8% from the 9.8% survey result in September of last year.

Of the said percentage, 11.2% said they experienced moderate hunger or went hungry “only once” or “a few times” in the last three months while 1.4% experienced severe hunger or felt hungry “often” or “always” in the same period.

SWS said the experience of hunger was highest in Balance Luzon at 14.3%, followed by Metro Manila at 12.7%, Mindanao at 12%, and Visayas at 9.3% .

“The 2.8-point rise in hunger between September 2023 and December 2023 was due to increases in Mindanao, Balance Luzon, and the Visayas, combined with a decline in Metro Manila,” the SWS said in its report published on Monday.

Metro Manila’s hunger rate went down from 17.3% to 12.7%.

Meanwhile, the 2023 annual hunger rate declined to 10.7% compared to the 11.7% average recorded in 2022. However, it is still above the pre-pandemic hunger incidence rate of 9.3% in 2019. 

Further, the same survey also found that 47% of Filipino families rated themselves as “mahirap” or poor while 20% said they were not poor.

The SWS report also stated that 32% of families rated themselves as food-poor.

The poll was conducted face-to-face among 1,200 adults nationwide. – avds

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...