Tacurong ‘arnis’ team wins 15 golds in world tourney

By Edwin Fernandez/Philippine News Agency

CHAMPIONS. Tacurong City arnis players pose with Mayor Lina Montilla om Friday (April 12, 2019) after they presented her the medals they won in recent international ‘arnis’ tournament held in Cebu City. The team brought home 15 gold medals. (Photo courtesy of Tacurong CIO)

TACURONG CITY — The “arnis” team of Tacurong City, Sultan Kudarat ruled the world stick fighting tournament recently held in Cebu City and brought home 15 gold medals.

The city’s 15-man team bested other athletes from 11 countries, who participated in the 1st Philippine Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation (PEKAF) World Invitational Competition held in Cebu City on April 6-8.

Allan Freno, city information officer, said Friday that aside from the 15 gold medals, the city’s arnis players also returned home with 17 silver and 19 bronze medals.

The first-ever international event at the Sky Park of SM Seaside City-Cebu involved about 220 stick fighters from 11 countries.

Aside from the Philippines, other “arnisadors” who competed were from China, Korea, India, Iran, Mexico, USA, Qatar, Oman, Belarus, and Russia.

Mayor Lina Montilla, who welcomed the athletes during their courtesy call in her office on Friday, said the city sent 19 players to the tournament with each winning at least one medal.

The gold medalists included Melvin delos Santos and Angelo Huinda who garnered three gold medals each; and Chara Generoso, who won two golds. Bagging one gold medal each were Joemer Baculinao, Nora Kaye Villaruel, Cherry Ann Alfon, Laura Gene Manzano, Royce Lopez, Jester Huquire, and Mary Joy Marollano.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...