Tacurong to host Philippine Bird Festival

TACURONG CITY – This city is set to host this year’s 12th Philippine Bird Festival (PBF).

The festival, slated May 10-12, 2018, will be spearheaded by the Wild Bird Club of the Philippines (WBCP), which began holding the PBF in 2005 aimed at raising conservation awareness through the promotion of bird-watching and the responsible appreciation of nature.

Tacurong maintains the Baras Bird Sanctuary here with the support of the region’s Department of Tourism (DOT).

The city made the bid in hosting the event after holding its third local bird festival in May 2017.

Tacurong City Mayor Lina Montilla said hosting the PBF is a welcome challenge for a small city like Tacurong.

“We are very eager to experience hosting PBF. This is a great chance to show the rich biodiversity of the region,” she said.

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources has recognized Tacurong’s Baras Bird Sanctuary as one of the 10 most internationally important wetland sites for water birds in the Philippines. It is also the second largest roosting and nesting site of egrets and herons in the country.

WBPC members made an ocular visit of bird sites in Region 12 last November. They also visited Baras Bird Sanctuary, and birding sites in Lake Sebu and Tupi.

After the concerns regarding security and options for suitable venues and accommodations were addressed, the decision to hold this year’s PBF in Tacurong City was finalized, Montilla said.

In its online newsletter, Willem Van de Ven of WBCP said “altogether, the Soccsksargen or Region 12 is certainly capable and very enthusiastic to host the next PBF.”

Tacurong started to celebrate its own Bird Festival in 2015 with the help of WBCP and DOT.

Negros Occidental hosted the 11th Philippine Bird Festival last year. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...