Telco’s aid sought to track down Iloilo City bomb threat suspect

by Gail Momblan/PNA

The Iloilo City Police Station I has asked a telecommunications company for access to its electronic records following the bomb threat at the Iloilo Hall of Justice here on Monday.

Lt. Col. Jonathan Pablito, chief of Police Station I, said on Tuesday the request was made for investigation purposes as the perpetrator can be traced through phone records.

The police will also be able to identify if the caller used a postpaid or prepaid number.

“If postpaid, we can really have the name. If it’s prepaid we can only request (the telephone company) and triangulate other numbers that had been contacted by the perpetrator and ask them for the identity of the caller,” he said.

The bomb threat was sent by an unknown caller and received by Rosan San Luis, administrative assistant of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) at 8:37 a.m. on Monday.

As the police anticipates several hindrances regarding their request from the telecom company due to the Data Privacy Act, Pablito said the police will ask Hall of Justice Executive Judge Victor Gelvezon for the proper way to get a court order for the telephone company “to be cleared to give the information of the number (of the perpetrator) and its origin.”

“We will propose legislations regarding these… that when you use electronic means, when you use telephones, cellular phones, landlines, internet to make threats, (records) will be open to the law enforcement,” Pablito said, adding that the Data Privacy Act sometimes pose a challenge to the police in evidence gathering.

Republic Act 10173 or the Data Privacy Act of 2012 protects the fundamental human right of privacy of communication while ensuring the free flow of information to promote innovation and growth. 

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...