Thousands join Black Nazarene procession amid terror threats in CDO

CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — Threats of terrorist attacks did not dampen the spirit of the Black Nazarene devotees here, who paraded in thousands to mark the patron saint’s feast Tuesday.

Police said some 200,000 individuals participated in this city’s version of the “traslacion” despite reported terror threats in Northern Mindanao.

The two-kilometer “traslacion”, which started at the St. Augustine Metropolitan Cathedral and ended at the Black Nazarene Shrine, was peaceful and the devotees were well-behaved, said Chief Insp. Mardy Hortillosa, spokesperson for the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo).

Hortillosa said more than a thousand police officers and soldiers were deployed to secure the areas where the statue of the Black Nazarene—a replica given to a church here in 2009 that started the devotion of the patron saint outside Metro Manila—was to pass through.

The presence of law enforcers during the activity, Hortillosa said, was the factor why people had complied with the police advisory.

Police reprimanded several violators including those wearing ball caps, jackets and those bringing back packs and large bags around parade vicinity.

He said the decision to employ police officers to cordon the statue was based on the experience of the “traslacion” in Manila, where chaos usually ensues when devotees scramble to climb the “carroza” (cart).

According to tradition, the icon is escorted only by the Hijos de Nazareno, a group of male volunteers tasked with taking care of the Black Nazareno.

He said the regional and city police offices were on level 3 alert as authorities were verifying the veracity of the report that extremists were planning to attack the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan in retaliation for their defeat in the Marawi siege.

However, the police official added that the threat did not deter the Roman Catholic Church from holding the “traslacion” as law enforcement agencies were working to ensure that no untoward incident would occur during the feast of the Black Nazarene.

Hortillosa said the city police had been on high alert since martial law was extended and that status would remain until it is lifted. (Jigger J. Jerusalem/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...