Tomas Claudio Bridge to be closed for Skyway construction

By Raymond Carl Dela Cruz/Philippine News Agency

BRIDGE CLOSURE FOR SKYWAY STAGE 3. MMDA general manager Jose Arturo “Jojo” Garcia answers questions from the media following his announcement of the closure of Tomas Claudio Bridge to make way for the construction of the Skyway Stage 3 at the MMDA office in Makati on July 31, 2019. (Photo by Raymond Carl Dela Cruz)

MANILA — Starting Saturday (August 3), The Tomas Claudio Bridge in Pandacan, Manila would be temporarily closed to traffic to make way for the construction of Skyway Stage 3, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) announced on Wednesday.

In a press conference in Makati City, MMDA general manager Jose Arturo “Jojo” Garcia said the elevated bridge connecting Valenzuela Street, Santa Mesa in the north to Quirino Avenue in the south will not be passable for the next six months.

“Starting Saturday, that’s August 3 at 10 P.M., yung atin pong (our) Tomas Claudio bridge will be closed down for six months to give way doon po sa (for the) construction ng Skyway connector,” Garcia said.

An estimated 12,000 motorists daily are expected to be affected by the closure.

Vehicles are rerouted to the intersections below the bridge as they will remain open while heavy vehicles from Beata Street are to take Jesus Street to Quirino Avenue extension.

To address the possible adverse effect of the closure, Garcia said they have directed their enforcers and those from local government units (LGUs) to clear all alternate routes in the area starting Thursday (August 1) morning for a smoother flow of traffic.

“You need to clear all alternate routes. Kahit maliit ‘yan, (even it’s narrow), no parking 24/7,” Garcia said.

Last Monday, the 3.7-kilometer Buendia-Paco segment of the Skyway Stage 3 with an exit at Plaza Dilao ramp was partially opened to motorists.

The Skyway Stage 3 is a 14.82 km 6-lane elevated road which will connect the South Luzon Expressway in Alabang to Balintawak in Quezon City and is targeted to be completed by early 2020.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...