‘Traslacion’ participant dies of heart attack

MANILA — The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) on Wednesday said a former member of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) was so far the sole fatality of this year’s “Traslacion” or procession of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo, Manila.

NCRPO head Director Oscar Albayalde identified the fatality as former SJO4 Ramil Dela Cruz who died while undergoing treatment at the Jose Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Sta. Cruz, Manila.

“Inatake s’ya. (He had a heart attack.) He is a devotee. He is a (former) member of the BJMP. Dinala sa ospital at doon namatay,” Albayalde said

A statement from the BJMP indicated that Dela Cruz was dropped from the rolls last August 31 due to absences without leave and that the former’s last posting was at the Metro Manila District Jail in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City.

Also, the NCRPO chief said estimated participants in the procession peaked at 3.5 million while those who attended the ‘Pahalik’ at the Quirino Grandstand totaled 150,000 while those who went to hear the evening mass reached 600,000.

While those present in the Quiapo area for the religious event totaled 7.6 million.

“There is still a lot to improve talaga with regards to security. Una, probably ‘yung communication dahil alam natin nagiging template na ito yung pagpatay ng communication signal. Probably, we can improve our communication lalo na sa radio kasi kailangan natin ‘yan, yung coordination between segment leaders natin at of course kailangan pa rin (ng) close coordination with the executive committee ng ating mga mamamasan, (ang) ating (Hijos) para lalong mapabilis yung prusisyon,” Albayalde added. (PNA)

Popular

Myanmar’s junta chief to head to Bangkok summit as quake toll surpasses 3,000

By Agence France-Presse The head of Myanmar's junta is expected to travel to Bangkok on Thursday for a regional summit, as the death toll from...

PBBM reciprocates VP Sara’s gratitude on helping her mend ties with dad

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency “Glad I could help.” This was the response of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., according to Palace Press...

Purchase of US fighter jets vital to boost PH defense – ES Bersamin

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin on Thursday, April 3, said the planned procurement of fighter jets from the...

Recto says use of PhilHealth funds to spare PH from new debts

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency Finance Secretary Ralph Recto on Wednesday defended the transfer of idle and unused Philippine Health Insurance Corp. (PhilHealth)...