Trillanes lawyers inform Makati court of appeal to SC

By Benjamin Pulta/PNA

MANILA — Defense lawyers of Senator Antonio Trillanes IV have formally informed the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 148 that it will appeal its case to the Supreme Court (SC).

In a seven-page motion and notice of appeal dated Dec. 10, Trillanes’ counsel Reynaldo Robles told the Makati court that they will be taking the case directly to the high court, where a pending suit filed by Trillanes is also pending.

“Please take notice of the intention of former accused Trillanes to appeal the order and the joint order of the court finding that Proclamation No. 572 series of 2018, was legal and / or constitutional, on purely legal issues and/ or questions of law directly to the Honorable Supreme Court particularly in relation to GR 241494, which is currently pending before the Supreme Court en banc,” the motion said.

In its joint resolution, Makati RTC Branch 148 Judge Andres Soriano turned down the motions for partial reconsideration filed by the government and Trillanes.

The lawmaker’s counsels had asked to declare President Rodrigo Duterte’s Proclamation 572, which invalidated his amnesty as “illegal and/or unconstitutional” after Soriano upheld the legality of the presidential directive last month.

On the other hand, prosecutors from the Department of Justice have challenged Soriano’s factual findings — that Trillanes filed an application for amnesty and admitted his guilt for the offense of coup d’etat — which contradicted the position of the government.

Popular

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...