Troops recover 4 kidnapped timber cutters in Zamboanga

ZAMBOANGA CITY — Government troops safely recovered the four timber cutters seized earlier this month by kidnap-for-ransom-group (KFRG) in the hinterlands of Zamboanga del Norte, the military reported Tuesday.

Recovered were: Roger Jung-an; Jomar Maglangit; Jomar Mantangan; and, Raymond Purisima who were held captive for nine days in the hinterlands of Zamboanga del Norte.

They were abandoned by their disoriented captors at around 3 p.m. Monday in Barangay Libucon, Sirawai after soldiers and policemen had been relentlessly pursuing them since they seized the victims.

“The kidnappers under a certain Jamilon Wahab panicked aside from becoming weary with the ongoing pursuit operations and left the victims before they fled,” Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, Army’s 1st Infantry Division commander, said.

Mahari Abdulla, Libucon barangay chair, who initially assisted the victims, called Sirawai Mayor Gamar Janihim, who in turn handed them over to the Army’s 42nd Infantry Battalion.

The victims, all employees of Tata Subebe, were all residents of Barangay San Nicolas, Sirawai.

The KFRG seized them on March 3 in Barangay Panabutan, Sirawai when they were on the way to cut timbers.

Janihim said the kidnappers were also led by Bating Luninguis aside from Wahab, whose group operates in the hinterlands of Sirawai and in nearby areas.

“They were originally five when they were kidnapped however, one of them was hit in the crossfire during an encounter between our soldiers and their captors last March 7,” Murillo said.

The other victim, Mario Rosales alias Mario Ungok, 46 was killed in the crossfire when policemen and soldiers enaged in a 10-minute firefight with the kidnappers on March 7 at sitio Kabatunayan, Barangay Panabutan, Sirawai.

The rescued kidnap victims immediately underwent medical check-up while military intelligence operatives and police investigators conducted debriefing.

“Our troops and our policemen are still tracking the kidnappers as of this report,” Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr., Western Mindanao Command chief, said.

“Let this be a warning to anyone or any group who is planning to engage in any criminal activities. We will fix you and we will eventually get you,” Galvez added as he congratulated Murillo, his men and the policemen of Zamboanga del Norte Province for the accomplishment. (Teofilo Garcia, Jr with reports from Ely E. Dumaboc/PNA stringer)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...