Troops seize NPA armory along N. Cotabato–Davao border

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao – Military authorities in Makilala, North Cotabato, on Wednesday have recovered a cache of firearms and explosives with the help of a former New People’s Army (NPA) rebel leader.

Lt Col. Rojon Rosales, commander of the Army’s 39th Infantry Battalion, said the war materiel was immediately presented to Brig. Gen. Robert Ancan, chief of the Army’s 1002nd Brigade based in Makilala.

Rosales said the recovery of the firearms and explosives in the borders of Makilala in North Cotabato and in the Davao del Sur town of Bansalan was made possible through the help of a former NPA leader, identified only as “Amahan,” the former deputy secretary of the NPA Guerilla Front 51.

The firearms included an M653 Elisco rifle, four M16 rifles, one AK-47 rifle, two Garand rifles, several hand grenades, medical kit, and an NPA flag. “Some of the guns were recovered in Barangay Coronon, Sta. Cruz, Davao del Sur,” Rosales said.

He said that when “Amahan” surrendered to the Army, he vowed to help the soldiers locate the firearms hidden by his former comrades in Barangay Batasan, Makilala and in Sta. Cruz.

Rosales said Amahan decided to surrender due to the NPA’s failure to attend to his health needs.

Amahan claimed the leadership of the NPA Guerilla Front 51 wanted him to take the post of Jacob Rodinas, the deputy leader of the group who died in a clash with Army troopers last year.

Rosales said the Army maintains its door open for rebels who would like to come down from the hills and rejoin the mainstream society. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...